Wednesday, March 4, 2009

February stars, floating in the dark. Temporary stars, February stars

The second of my monthly review of musical purchases and downloads for 2009. My look at January can be found here.

February was not a big month for me in terms of new music. I guess my self imposed control on spending to save for my impending trip overseas had something to do with it. Mind you I can see that ban being lifted very soon, around the time I decide that acquiring the entire Robert Palmer catalogue is somehow necessary (and urgent).

It is.

Albums

Eli "The Paperboy" Reed & The True Loves - Roll with Me


Many thanks to my good friend Scott Drummond for putting me on to this sensation. The world can have Miss Winehouse and Miss Stone, I'll keep Mr Reed and his band. It is like a long lost 60s soul album (the production has that warm Stax sound) except they are all new songs and the singer is a white kid in his 20s. Not a dud amongst the eleven tracks and I can't remember the last time I could say that about an album.

U2 - No Line On The Horizon

A 5 line critique on the biggest band in the world and their new album will get lost amongst the masses so let's stick to what you need to know:

- It is their most complete album since Achtung Baby
-
Don't mistake it for being a classic like Achtung Baby, let's say it is very good
- It does not have the immediacy of All That You Can't Leave Behind (their last good album) but will eventually be seen as a superior effort
- The only low point of the album is the trio of songs in the middle and one of those is the first single 'Get On Your Boots'
- The rest is brilliant

Singles/EP's

Bob Dylan - Visions Of Johanna

This really is a story for another time and place. The only thing I will say on the matter is that I'm a man that makes mistakes but I'm a man with good intentions.

On a completely separate note, here is a cover of the tune by BRMC.

1 comment:

Johanne Miller said...

I hope that plans for your impending trip overseas are going smoothly.

Nice review as always. Looking forward to the next. : )