Tuesday, August 4, 2009

6 days in the city of blinding lights: Day 6

Day 6 -

Aside from my failed return trip to Harlem (see Day 5), I have two things to accomplish today.

The main one being to tackle Central Park. Now I say tackle but you could spend a few days alone in this place and still leave wanting more.

Knowing this from the outset I decide to at least walk its length (59th St to 110th St) and see what I see along the way taking different paths as the mood took me.

It truly is a class leveller and the best gift a city can ever give to its citizens. The place is just as busy as midtown but in place of skyscrapers are endless trees and old bridges.

There are bridle trails, designated running and cycle tracks and numerous baseball fields dotted about the thick foliage and waterways.

In the middle is the great lawn that has seen memorable concerts. On this stunning Saturday all that can be seen are New Yorkers sunbathing and shonky ice cream vendors making a small fortune.

Nearby are a set of Basketball courts where you can witness grown men acting like petulant children as they argue the toss over a foul. They had me entertained for a fair while with their bravado and their ability to 'draw a foul' from seemingly nowhere.

Having completed the length of the park, I treat myself to a short subway trip back to 81st St and visit the American Museum of Natural History. I knew this was a doomed visit when the queue to get in took forever.

I never cared a great deal for Science and Natural History in High School and I could see why. I was bored after an hour and was now questioning my decision to come here in the first place. It was either this or the Metropolitan Museum of Art and I could see those smug bastards across the park on the Upper East Side telling me I told you so.

Early evening I finally take the Staten Island Ferry (something I was going to do on my first day but I ran out of time) and am glad to see a borough other than Manhattan.

Staten Island seems a little more relaxed, given its seaside nature. I find a nice down home bar that has a half open aired section that reminds me of a Mexican Cantina. The Pale Ale goes down a treat as the sun sets on the day and my New York trip.

Next stop will be the Johnson Lakehouse Resort in Arkansas and my week in the South. Blues, Country, Elvis and cookouts.

Bring it on!

No comments: