Friday, August 29, 2008

Suicide Is Not Painless

The sudden death of Actor Mark Priestly this week once again brought to the fore the terrible affliction of depression.

I consider myself very lucky that I have never been in such a dark situation as experienced by Mark. If anything, his death is yet another tragic reminder that if I needed it, there is someone there to talk to.

I am a big supporter of organisations like Beyond Blue and make every effort to support their cause - even if it makes me look like a seedy Mexican Pimp. But my hope is that, if I was ever in such a space in my life, that I could call upon my close family and friends to talk about things that were bringing me down.

I know that is easy to say with foresight, but when I see the consequences of such terrible actions, I believe the pain of discussing your demons is much more tolerable than the pain of leaving behind loved ones trying to make sense of it all.

In closing: Talk to one another more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic read Stuart, and you know me I'm available 24/7, 365 days.
I love you my levelheaded Son.
Mum
xxx