Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The best U2 song you haven't heard/Soundtracktion



First and foremost, the above song 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet' is the fookin' bollocks (why do I always take on the persona of Noel Gallagher when I write?). Mercifully tacked on to the end of All That You Can't Leave Behind it was originally from the soundtrack to the heavily criticised film The Million Dollar Hotel. Despite being a big fan of U2, I am yet to see the film nor do I own its soundtrack, but I have already spoken at length elsewhere in cyberspace about the commitment of being a fan so let's move on to the real reason for this post.

When's the last time you bought a soundtrack album? I thought so.

I currently own one album of songs from or inspired by a film. Just the one. That honour goes to the music from Into The Wild, a film I am also yet to see (due to laziness on my behalf) and was only bought without first listening to it because I thought it would be great to hear an Eddie Vedder solo album.

It wasn't.

The two best songs on the album are covers versions ('Hard Sun' and 'Society') while the rest feel like half finished works. Perhaps I might gain a better appreciation of the music once I get around to watching the film but for now let me use it as solid evidence to prove my point: I care little for soundtracks.

Before my rash decision to purchase Into The Wild, I had already discarded the two other soundtracks I had ever owned: Empire Records and Space Jam. Empire Records I admit I still miss because it had that great song by Gin Blossoms, but Space Jam is unforgivable and my only defence is that it was purchased during those heady couple of months when the Quad City DJ's were cool.

These days music for films (Tarantino's works aside) have become particularly uninspiring, whether they be songs created especially for the movie or older songs compiled by some bright spark at the studio (Every 10th romantic comedy must include 'Someone Like You'). In fact it has been television shows like The Sopranos and Life On Mars (UK Version) that have led the way with their impressive song selection more so than their Silver Screen cousins.

So is there hope for me buying a soundtrack in the future? Better selection of music would be a big first step but I doubt it would sway my opinion. I guess it comes down to enjoying the particular songs with the visual.

Perfect example: 'Free Falling', to me, will always be associated with the following:



Tom Cruise opinions aside, that song loses its lustre when heard on a soundtrack with other songs that aren't sung by Tom Petty.

For me it is the complete package or nothing at all.

No comments: