Monday, April 13, 2009

And we'll both be safe 'til St. Patrick's Day

The third in my monthly review of musical purchases and downloads for 2009. My look at February can be found here.

As if in response to my slow start (musically) for 2009, I am now receiving emails from long forgotten mailing lists touting the return of bands who have remained on my radar. It seems the next few months will see me parting my hard earned for new material by the Dave Matthews Band, Manic Street Preachers, Jen Cloher and so on.

Before that, here is what March threw up.

Albums

Robert Palmer - At His Very Best

Whilst I didn't acquire his entire back catalogue as I threatened last month, I did wisely pick up the best of the smooth Mr Palmer. I was never one for the 'Addicted To Love' and 'Simply Irresistible' side though. For the gold stuff, crank up 'Johnny & Mary' or 'Looking For Clues'.

Mary Gauthier - Mercy Now / Between Daylight And Dark

Being on the Lost Highway label (Ryan Adams, Donavon Frankenreiter) I should have picked up on Mary Gauthier much earlier than this. Her songwriting is her greatest asset (though she is no slouch on vocals) as she relays tales of woe that come from a troubled life she has already lived through. Martha Wainwright could learn a lot from her.

Grifters Inc. - A Creature Of The Night


Aussie Hip-Hop is an acquired taste, especially for those who don't reside on the Island. These days I much prefer to hear my fellow countrymen rap than Lil' fucking Wayne. Grifters Inc. may be indie but the production and rhyming on 'A Creature Of The Night' is just as good as their bigger label brethren.

Keep an eye on these lads.

Singles/EP's

The Strokes - Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)


After hearing once again Robert Palmer's version of the Marvin Gaye classic, I decided to search out other renditions and came across this one from a few years ago. Eddie Vedder turns in a great guest performance as well.

The Lemonheads - Luka

I must have been on a cover versions trip because I also dug out this great take of the Suzanne Vega hit. Mind you, Evan Dando could sing the 'terms and conditions' section on an entry form and I would still rate it as brilliant.

No comments: