Monday, July 20, 2009

Shi Pow Pow aka Catholicism Wow!

Note to self: Learn at least some French before arriving in Montreal.

I am trying to think back to my French classes in High School but all that I remember is the vision of the shapely Miss Wilkins who taught it. Damn you adolescence!

Anyway, it has been an interesting experience navigating my way through all the Rues and Sorties and what not. I can still check in to a hotel, go to a bar and order a beer and a meal without too much trouble. Important to note: Mayonnaise is underrated as a condiment. Fact.

Being a Sunday, not only did I pass the cafes with the waiters out the front tempting famished passers by but one Church in particular (see pic) also looked like it was hustling for patrons. The Padre out the front came up with an interesting way to spruik his service: set up speakers in front of the Church and play pop music to tempt the citizens and visitors of Montreal. Now I am unsure if the speakers were linked to the street markets out the front but I would like to think St Mary's were using the divine spirit of Londonbeat to beef up the congregation's numbers. Cardinal Glick must have had a hand in that savvy idea.

Speaking of said street market (or Marché en plein air for those of you playing the French version) I came across a great young Blues band a few blocks down and captured a bit of it on video. Enjoy:



Onwards to Boston tomorrow. Go Redsox!

2 comments:

MaryAnne Tan said...

That's awesome! How good would that be if St Patrick's did the same thing here?

Stuart McPhee said...

I can see it working - provided they use the song 'Take Me Back' by Noiseworks. :-)
Hope you're keeping the office running in my absence M-Tan.