Friday, July 24, 2009

This will result in hate mail: The case for Girls Aloud

A break in my trip to discuss the merits of this under appreciated pop group.

Let me say off the bat that I am not gay. I can however, as a lover of all music, be comfortable with my sexuality whilst listening to 'Freedom' by Wham (the original titled song NOT the solo hit by George Michael in 1990).

Because of this I can safely say that I like the music of British pop quintet Girls Aloud. This isn't an ironic statement, I genuinely believe they are at the pinnacle of Pop Music circa now.

I am currently flying over the Atlantic Ocean and enjoying the in flight entertainment. In between so-so romantic comedies and classic episodes of 'Father Ted' I am flicking over to the music video channel. On this particular flight they have a bounty (or should that be booty?) of Girls Aloud clips. In fact the first time I ever saw or heard this group was my last trip to Europe when I was blown away by the song and video to 'Biology'. I wondered then why they weren't popular back home in Australia.

Now our UK cousins have been buying their singles for years now, probably to the point of saturation. I'm sure they are ever so slightly sick of seeing Cheryl Cole (who I can only assume is the group's leader) on the front of tabloids but publicity, good or bad, is paramount to any pop group's longevity.

Cynics amongst you are wanting to call me out on the fact they are all stunningly good looking. That genetic certainty cannot be denied but the quality of the music they release is light years better than most of the stuff in the Top 40 back home (read: American R&B).

The writing, in the music especially, reminds me a lot of the Motown era - and let's not get precious about that comparison as Motown had teams of writers for The Supremes and The Temptations as well.

I will admit that The Spice Girls paved the way for the likes of Girls Aloud and The Sugababes ('Push The Button' should be taught in pop music classes it is so perfect) but Ginger and Co sound like talentless also rans in comparison. Probably because they are.

Anywhoo I have to go. My body says it is 9pm, my watch informs me it is the wee hours of the morning in Dublin and tonight I am watching U2 perform in their hometown with my best mate and his good friend. I need some shut eye.

Not before I fire up 'Can't Speak' one more time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Truly disturbing, what jet lag does to you, monsignor!